Kenya





Kenya

How wetop_logo

EMAUA (Education, Medicine and Agriculture Universal Access) is our affiliated organisation in East Africa. Located in the Teso District, Kenya, EMAUA’s most advanced project is an organic food self-sufficiency program being undertaken in a primary school of 300 children, called Isegeretoto School. The Isegeretoto Program aims to produce the whole food needs of the school, by relying exclusively on naturally available resources. Used in the cultivation of crops, some indigenous plants have been proved to increase the yields of poor farmers by 8-10 times. The traditional and scientific knowledge that EMAUA acquired by running its traditional knowledge surveying work allowed it to become specialised in the use of plants to produce manure, insecticide, as well as traditional medicine. The main objective of the organisation is to create decentralized centers in its areas of activity. In this regard, small centers that are run by local people are much more efficient at creating closeness between learners and trainers.


EMAUA’s main fertilization technique based on the use of Tithonia diversifolia, has proven to be as effective as chemical fertilizer according to results of several institutes, among them the World Agro- forestry Centre. Furthermore, the use of the push-pull technology, developed by the ICIPE research center (International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology), in their maize fields enables them to get rid of the two main pests of maize: the striga weed and the stalk borer. Since EMAUA also teaches these techniques throughout Kenya, the use of naturally available plants is a decisive starting point: buying chemical fertilizers or even purchasing animals to produce manure is unaffordable to a large majority of Kenyans.


EMAUA’s Isegeretoto Program aims to reach financial independence by 2020. This will be achieved through the implementation of income generating projects such as the production of natural soap and added value farm products like dried vanilla, mangoes, banana and flour. These products will be sold locally and overseas.

Concretely, after only one year of partnership with Isegeretoto School since 2015, EMAUA has facilitated the school to achieve 80% food self-sufficiency on 10 acres of land. The main food types produced include maize, millet, rice, beans, green grams, vegetables, fruits, fish and milk. Only beef is not being produced due to lack of resources. To increase the adequacy of fish, EMAUA intends to build three more fishponds. For 2016, the aim will be to produce food beyond the needs of the school, and thus be able to sell surplus food. EMAUA also intends to produce the cooking oil using organic palm oil trees.



Essentially, EMAUA’s Isegeretoto Program aims to achieve food and energy self-sufficiency to reduce Isegeretoto’s expenses in the mid term. The savings will allow the school to expand access to quality education for their orphaned and destitute children program. This program provides support to orphans and destitute children who make up 30% of the school’s population, while the remaining 70% are paying children. As the price of food and energy actually tripled within the last 5 years in Kenya, such like programs are vital in strengthening the school’s philanthropic pursuit. The production of food will lead to 30% savings of the total running costs of the school, while the energy production (biogas and solar power) will lead to 20% savings. As opposed to the actual financial situation, which still requires external monetary inputs, Isegeretoto Program aims to reach financial autonomy in four years. Overall, these efforts target an increased quality education access to the children in the struggling local communities.


effectChange. aims to support the Isegeretoto school and its organic food self-sufficiency program additionally by implementing solar panels, biogas installations for cooking, construction of three additional fishponds, natural soap production and land for a warehouse.



Gallery